- Use my skills to create and improve inspiring learning environments.
- Research best practice teaching and educational psychology.
- Be part of a dynamic and passionate team.
1993 - 1995
- Sir Roger Manwood’s School. Maths, Physics, Chemistry A levels.
1996 - 1999
- Leeds University. 2.1 BEng Electronics and Computing Engineering.
1995 - 1996
- GEC Marconi Avionics. Gap year engineering experience. The highlight was the AET course (applied engineering techniques) where my team built a computer controlled milling machine.
2000 - 2001
- Web design consultant for Pfizer Ltd. I updated a large company intranet using self written automatic tools. This is where my love of the UNIX operating system stems from! Temporary contract.
- Self employed computer programmer. Worked through the internet for various international companies and individuals. This work ended when I was offered head of IT for oncampusUK.
- Founded lighterthief.org, a website that tracks cigarette lighters around the world. www.lighterthief.org. I still maintain this website.
2001 - 2007
- OncampusUK. Head of IT of internet computer company. I was a founder member and helped take the business to where we employed 20 people with an IT team of 8. I left because I wanted to find work focused on positive social change.
- Wing Tsun Kung fu instructor. Achieved my black belt grading and got a taste for teaching. This finished when I left Cambridge.
- Life coach. At this time I first started working with teachers. Still practicing.
- Freelance engineer. I designed and built various lighting systems and was commissioned to build a robotic musical instrument. Still practicing.
2007 - present
- Learning-to-Learn.org.uk. My creative coaching and facilitation business that aims to support schools in becoming the best they can be. Created 6 INSET workshops on personal development, creativity and communication. Currently working with schools in London and Essex, and London based charities.
- Freelance engineer. I have been commisioned to build installations that raise awareness of environmental issues.
- Volunteer youth worker at Time and Talents community centre. I support young people through conversation and art/music/creative workshops.
Communication is my passion. How people talk, why they talk. Where conflict arises and where communication is most useful is all fascinating for me. I have studied communication through research (psychology), observation and practicing: teaching, coaching, mediation and workshop facilitation. In terms of education, I’m most interested in how the teacher’s communication affects the learning environment - and how this affects the learning process.
Creativity is our innate ability to adapt to a continually changing environment. I believe that creativity is as much as skill as any other and as such can be practiced and strengthened. I have facilitated workshops in creativity and my own creative practice reaches into many different areas including graffiti, double bass, electronic music, rapping, beatboxing, installation art.
Engineering is the art of researching, designing, creating and implementing projects. My degree helped cement my engineering resources and gave me the opportunity to learn about project management. I’m particularly interested in the blend of Art and Engineering.
Computing. I have a strong ability with computers developed over the last 10 years. I’ve programmed in various languages on both computers and microcontrollers. I have in depth knowledge of UNIX based operating systems. Computer systems are especially interesting where they allow connections between people.
Improvisation. I have been consciously practicing improvisation skills with movement, music, theatre and comedy for the last 2 years. Improvisation is most useful to me when the unexpected happens - my practice helps me embrace new situations with grace.
- Available upon request.
- I hold a current CRB and have £5M public liability insurance.